Saturday, June 28, 2008

What Maisie Knew, by Henry James


In which we are introduced to Maisie.

Maisie rang. And rang again. No one answered; so, she let herself in. She was used to doing for herself since the adults in her life often weren’t around. Besides, Mrs. Wix was waiting in the car; probably watching her now.

She could see Bob and Anya in the living room and hear the others in the kitchen. She had a choice to make: Bob and Anya were much more recent characters; Emily, David and Dorothea were closer to her time. She was in the middle. Stuck in the middle again between two sets of adults. She had a mind to sneak some food from the kitchen and take it upstairs to her own party.

Just as she finished this thought, Emily popped out of the kitchen, “Why you little monkey,” she said affectionately, “how long have you been standing there? Here let me help you out of that long coat. That’s a nice coat. Your step-father bought you that? How is he? And your mother? Oh and your father? And your step-mother? Come join us in the kitchen. I daresay, you don’t quite belong there; you haven’t found the love of your life yet.” Emily giggles. “But there’s still time; and we’ll help!” Maise obediently follows Emily into the kitchen.

“But, I say, a woman’s place is in the home. All of the women I knew made me happy by making me a home.”

“David, I agree that is one place women can be useful, but they also have the ability to learn much more about art and society and make themselves useful outside the home. I inspired the idea of building better homes for the serfs on my neighbor’s property and that worked out quite well,” Dorothea retorted.

“I don’t think adults are much of use for anything, especially being in love,” Maisie added.

“Maisie, dear, I dare say you’re infected with some of that modernism that has Anya and Bob so enthralled. Not all adults are as neglectful as your parents and most certainly aren’t given to the degree of lasciviousness that characterized their relationships.” Dorothea tried to comfort her.

“That’s right. Look at Agnes and me. Completely in love with each other. Though, Dora did have to die before I could remarry; no divorce for me!” said David.

“Mac and I just sleep all around with everyone. And we’re as happy as anyone is today,” Anya tossed out as she entered the room with Bob. The others cringed at their return.

“Maisie, you’re stuck in the middle between Victorian sensibility and modern experience. Things are worse for you, but not as bad as for Anya and I. Things were never as good for the others, though they liked to pretend they were. And with that said, you’re far too young for me, so I’m going back to starting at Anya’s breasts while the rest of you talk,” Bob offered. Anya gives him a shove.

“So, there it is then. I’ll have more of a real life than David and the others, but it won’t be as bad as Anya’s or Bob’s,” she says the last disparagingly and throws a glace at Bob who is still staring at Anya. “I know more about love and relationships than you think I do.”

Anya smiles comfortingly. Emily says, “We wish you the best luck. You’re still so young.” And while the others are agreeing, the doorbell rings.

No comments: